Driveco Raises €250 Million To Become One Of The European Leaders In Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure
- Record fundraising round in the electric charging point sector in France and one of the largest in the sector globally.
- Leading global investor APG becomes a new shareholder.
- Renewed support from existing shareholders, who retain a majority share.
- Driveco has generated record-level revenues of €25 million in 2022, tripling the result achieved in 2021.
- The company’s objective is to operate over 60,000 charging points in Europe by 2030, avoiding 3 million tons of CO2 emissions per year, in line with the European Union’s Fit for 55 objectives.
Driveco’s second round of funding is the largest to-date in the electric vehicle charging point sector in France and one of the most significant in the sector, globally.
Driveco, a pioneer among charge point operators in France
Founded in 2010, Driveco operates the second largest French electric vehicles charging network open to the public, with over 8,000 charging points in operation or under construction.
After initially focusing its business on developing and operating charging stations for third parties, the company began in 2020 a strategic shift to own its charging points. An example of this is the financing, installation and operation of more than 600 stations located on Carrefour Market parking lots, enabling the electrification of 3,000 parking spaces.
Driveco tripled its revenue in 2022, reaching €25 million, a significant growth supported by the dedication of its 100 employees.
A positive societal impact at the heart of its strategy
Committed to the reindustrialization of Europe, Driveco assembles its own 22kW charger on a production line in Angers, and prioritizes European-made high-power chargers of 50kW, 150kW, 300kW and more.
To encourage everyday actions in favour of the environment, Driveco offers attractive prices and provides its customers with 100% green energy. To achieve this, the company masters the electricity supply through its subsidiary Driveco Energies.
A round of fundraising to support Driveco’s long-term vision
To accelerate the development of electric vehicles and bring them within everyone’s reach, Driveco has joined forces with APG, which shares a common vision for sustainable growth and the decarbonization of transportation. Driveco will invest in three strategic directions in line with its 2030 goals:
- Strengthen its territorial presence to consolidate its leading French position.
- Accelerate international expansion by opening over 60,000 charging points in seven European countries, continuing the development in France and Belgium and expanding to Germany, Spain, Italy, Switzerland and the Netherlands. The objective is to enable the charging of over 1.2 million vehicles per year, avoiding the emission of 3 million tonnes of CO2 for their entire annual travels.
- Consolidate the technological innovation strategy aimed at offering the most seamless customer experience at the charging station and through its mobile application. To achieve this, Driveco intends to double its workforce by 2025, particularly in the technological and product teams.
Witold Marais, Investment Director at Mirova, added: “We are pleased to have APG onboard to support Driveco in the next phase of its growth. The Company has established itself as the leading independent charging point operator in France, experiencing stellar growth while maintaining the highest level of reliability, innovation, and operational excellence. We are excited about the next years to come and to keep working alongside Driveco’s management on making the company a reference European player.”
For Futher Reading:
Mirova is an affiliate of Natixis Investment Managers.
Portfolio management company – French Public Limited liability company
Regulated by AMF under n°GP 02-014
RCS Paris n°394 648 216
Registered Office: 59, Avenue Pierre Mendes France – 75013 – Paris.
Natixis Investment Managers
RCS Paris 453 952 681
Share Capital: €178 251 690
43 avenue Pierre Mendès France
This communication is for information only and is intended for investment service providers or other Professional Clients. The analyses and opinions referenced herein represent the subjective views of the author as referenced unless stated otherwise and are subject to change. There can be no assurance that developments will transpire as may be forecasted in this material.
Copyright © 2023 Natixis Investment Managers S.A. – All rights reserved