Jack Janasiewicz offers his tactical take on September’s market correction in this podcast recorded on October 5, 2023.
- Seasonality patterns played a role as September is historically one of the worst months for markets.
- Throw in a few concerns about a government shutdown, the UAW strike, and the rise in oil prices, the US dollar and bond yields – and it’s no wonder that risk assets had a difficult month.
- Some of the move in the Treasury bonds may be driven by the market repricing the “higher for longer” outlook as fewer rate cuts are now expected in 2024.
- The US dollar has also been marching steadily higher against most competing currencies since mid-July, further tightening financial conditions.
- As the calendar flips from September to October, some of the seasonal headwinds will be turning to tailwinds – but sentiment is still downright sour and technicals point to an oversold market.
- While this could provide a pretty good setup heading into the final quarter of the year, oil prices, the dollar and bond yields all pose risks to the markets.
- Any sustained and prolonged advance in these three concerns could very well shift the sentiment even more dire.
Investing involves risk, including the risk of loss. The views and opinions are as of October 5, 2023 and may change based on market and other conditions. This material is provided for informational purposes only and should not be construed as investment advice. There can be no assurance that developments will transpire as forecasted. Actual results may vary. Although Natixis Investment Managers believes the information provided in this material to be reliable, including that from third party sources, it does not guarantee the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of such information.
Natixis Advisors, LLC provides advisory services through its division Natixis Investment Managers Solutions. Advisory services are generally provided with the assistance of model portfolio providers, some of which are affiliates of Natixis Investment Managers, LLC.
Natixis Distribution, LLC is a limited purpose broker-dealer and the distributor of various registered investment companies for which advisory services are provided by affiliates of Natixis Investment Managers, LLC. Natixis Investment Managers does not provide tax or legal advice. Please consult with a tax or legal professional prior to making any investment decisions.
CFA® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are registered trademarks owned by the CFA Institute.